It’s set to be a big weekend for the first Newcastle 500 Supercars. We ventured down to the first day of the Coates Hire Newcastle 500.
First thing we noticed the noise. Those V8s are loud. It’s sure to get your heart pumping. (Use ear protection for younger kids. We saw plenty of kids wearing earmuffs). Find a spot trackside to see the cars winding around Newcastle city, foreshore and beaches to watch one of the big screens for all of the action.
Next we wandered over to the The Disney/Pixar Cars Pit Stop. For younger fans under 7, this will be a key attraction. To celebrate the release of Disney/Pixar’s Cars 3, Disney/Pixar Cars, Mack Trucks and Virgin Australia Supercars Championship have joined forces to bring the ultimate Cars experience to Coates Hire Newcastle 500. It’s the ultimate racing destination for families. It’s on every day from 10am to 4pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Coates Hire Newcastle 500.
Fans will get to see the new-look Lightning McQueen, plus Mack the Transporter will be on show, creating the perfect backdrop for a family selfie.
Racers young and old can also test their speed on scooters at the new Crazy Eights Raceway with races held every 15 minutes and get the chance to test their reflexes on the digital interactive race panel. On your marks, get set, Kachow!
They can also take a ride down the ever-popular giant, double-lane inflatable slide.
Entry to the Disney/Pixar Cars Pit Stop is complimentary with Supercars admission.
- Use public transportation to get to race. Be prepared that the closest that buses are dropping off are at Honeysuckle or Bolton Street depending on the route.
- Use noise protection for kids. We saw plenty of kids wearing earmuffs.
- Have hats and sunscreen and try to find shade where you can. Trackside is pretty exposed so there’s not too much shade.
- Pack lots of water or buy from kiosks to stay hydrated.
- Bring swimmers and cool off with a swim at the beach.
Adults can get tickets to the Supercars at Ticketek with kids 12 years and under admitted free of charge. For more information on the schedule, concerts and getting there, visit the Supercars website.